Stay Legal and Safe: KSA Regulations on Car Window Tinting
Saudi Arabia is one of the countries that have scorching heat in the summer season. In this season, Saudi car owners are always looking for ways to protect their cars from the sun, especially in the summertime. In that case, ‘window tinting’ has emerged and spread widely across the kingdom.
Car tinting is the process of applying a thin film coating on the car windows to protect the inside from sunlight. Tinting vehicle windows helps to reduce heat and its unpleasant effect, UV filtration, increased privacy, and thermal insulation. So, car window tinting in KSA is allowed but certain rules and regulations should be followed otherwise it is considered a violation and you will be fined by the traffic police.
This term has become very popular in Saudi Arabia and every other car owner is asking questions about this subject. In this blog post, we will talk about the regulations, fines, and different types of window tinting in Saudi Arabia and try to answer all these questions.
Rules & Regulations For Car Tint in Saudi Arabia
Driving in Saudi Arabia can be an exciting experience, but it's essential to know the rules and regulations before hitting the road. One crucial aspect of car safety in KSA is tinting the car windows. In Saudi Arabia, car owners want to shield their cars from the hot sun in the summer. They use "window tinting," a thin film made of polyester, for various reasons. It can enhance the car's appearance or provide privacy, security, and protection from UV rays. It also helps reduce interior heat, saving fuel and preserving the car's interior.
Social media has increased interest in this practice, with many questions about regulations, fines, and types of tinting. Below, we will answer all these questions about window tinting in Saudi Arabia.
It's crucial to know the rules and regulations for tinting car windows to avoid heavy fines and penalties. These are;
- According to the law, the side, rear, and front windows should be at least 30% transparent to ensure proper visibility while driving. This ensures that the driver's view is not obstructed and is not reflective, reducing the risk of accidents. It's important to note that tinting the windshield is not allowed under any circumstances.
- If you have a medical condition that requires increased tinting, you can submit a medical report to the authorities. This report will allow you to tint the windows beyond the 30% limit, ensuring that you're comfortable while driving.
- It's important to remember that decorative films, inscriptions, or pictures on the tinted windows are not allowed. Such decorations may reduce the degree of transparency and can cause accidents, putting yourself and others at risk.
- When it comes to selecting a film for tinting, only those approved by the Saudi authorities should be used. These films should not cause any harm to the environment or humans.
Cases Where You Can't Tint Your Windows in KSA
According to the regulations issued by the Saudi Arabian Traffic Department, there are certain cases where you cannot tint your car windows in Saudi Arabia, which include:
- Front Windshield: The front windshield must not be tinted except for a thin strip at the top of the windshield, not exceeding 10 cm.
- Front Side Windows: The front side windows must not be tinted.
- Lastly, it's important to note that tinting car windows is not allowed in certain vehicles. Public transport vehicles such as taxis and rental cars, as well as all cars with two doors, are not allowed to have tinted windows. Make sure to abide by these rules to avoid hefty fines and ensure safe driving on the roads of Saudi Arabia.
Car Tint Fine For Breaking Rules in KSA
In Saudi Arabia, violating car tint rules can result in fines and penalties. The specific amount of the fine depends on the level of darkness of the tinted windows and the number of times the violation has occurred. Get in touch with the latest car tint rules in Saudi Arabia and avoid getting fined by the traffic police! The fines for violating car tint rules in Saudi Arabia are as follows:
- First Offense: A fine of SAR 150.
- Second Offense: A fine of SAR 300.
- Third Offense: A fine of SAR 500.
It's important to note that in addition to the fines, the authorities may also ask the driver to remove the tint from their car windows. Additionally, driving a vehicle with illegally tinted windows may also result in impounding the vehicle or revoking the Saudi driver's license, depending on the severity of the violation. Don't let this ruin your day or put a dent in your wallet. Be aware of the car tint rules and follow them accordingly.
Types of Thermal Tinting
There are several types of window tinting that can be used to reduce the amount of heat and glare entering a building or vehicle while also providing privacy and security. Here are some of the most common types:
Dyed Window Tinting
Dyed tinting is the most common type of window tinting, which involves adding a layer of dye to the film. It is an inexpensive option that can provide some level of heat reduction, but it may not be as effective as other types of tinting.
Metalized Window Tinting
Metalized window tinting involves applying a thin layer of metal to the film, which provides excellent heat reduction and glare reduction. However, it can interfere with radio and cell phone signals.
Hybrid Window Tinting
This type of tinting combines dyed and metalized films to provide a balance of heat and glare reduction while also maintaining good visibility.
Ceramic Window Tinting
Ceramic window tinting is a high-end option that uses ceramic particles in the film to provide excellent heat reduction and UV protection without interfering with electronic signals. It is more expensive than other types of tinting but is more effective and long-lasting.
Crystalline Window Tinting
It is a newer type of tinting that uses multiple layers of film to provide excellent heat and UV protection without changing the appearance of the windows. It is a very expensive option but provides the best results in terms of heat reduction and UV protection.
Security Window Tinting
Security tinting is designed to make the windows more resistant to breaking, which can help prevent theft and increase safety. It can be combined with other types of tinting for added protection.